Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lighter version of a Strawberry Poke Cake

Ok... I know this is not a craft but I like to bake too. 
My mother's birthday is coming up soon and she has requested a poke cake.  I decided to give a trial run of a healthier version this evening .  We have been trying to eat healthier in our home.  I have seen several recipes online using a cake mix with diet cola. Several of the recipes were calling for different cake mixes and diet sodas.  So I thought why not.  You never know until you give it a try, but I wanted to make sure it would be something we all would enjoy eating. 
Considering a local store was selling the strawberries for $1 a carton this was a fairly inexpensive dessert to do a trial run on and give the kids something extra enjoyable this evening.

This cake only requires the following:
  • store bought cake mix ( I had a strawberry flavored on hand)
  • 12 oz sprite zero
  • 1 small box of sugar free strawberry jello
  • fresh strawberries
  • splenda
  • fat free cool whip

I did not have a white mix, so I decided to use a strawberry mix I had on hand. 
I mixed the cake mix and sprite zero together until well combined. 
 (Do not add ingredients listed on box only the sprite zero)   
 Pour the batter into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees. Bake for the time that is listed on the cake mix box. (approximately 30-35 minutes)
 While the cake was baking, I  clean and slice the strawberries. 
 (I have 2 children who are do not like sour or tart foods.)
So I added 2 tbls. of splenda and macerated the strawberries in the fridge
while the cake was baking and cooling.
Once the cake cools take a fork an poke several holes in the cake.
 Prepare the sugar free strawberry gelatin with 1/2 cups of boiling water stirring for 2 mins. 
Add 1/2 cup of cold. 
Pour the gelatin over the entire cake allowing to soak into all the holes in the cake.
 I covered the cake with the strawberries. 
 Ok now for the topping.  I used fat free cool whip for the topping. 

Finished Product now to let it cool in the fridge for at least 2 hrs.
It was a big hit with everyone.... and I don't think the kids realize
it was better for them then  a regular cake.

4 comments:

  1. I WANT SOME!!! That looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids really enjoyed it. I guess they didn't mind being the taste testers for this one. But now she asked for banana pudding instead. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Left you something on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try it when my mother in law comes to visit next week.

    ReplyDelete

Followers